Saturday, October 17, 2015

All Right, Saddle Up!

It is time. I know. You will know, too, if you are in such a situation. Don't confuse that it is time with the sheer boredom of not working or just that you haven't been working. You have to know you're healthy enough to work. That is why I know it is time. Sure, I was bored silly at times. How many books could I read, movies could I watch or think about picking up my guitar again. I came here to work, dammit! The good days have been outweighing the bad days, so it's time. All right, saddle up!

Nearly three months after my cancer surgery I started submitting for auditions again. I feel like I'm starting over, and in some ways I am. I'm reintroducing myself to the casting directors again. Sheer repetition of seeing my name may cause a brain memory connection. Better yet, when casting directors show up on my list that I got a job through before, I can casually mention, hey, yeah, baby, I worked on that Investigation show last spring, or yeah, daddy-o, thanks for getting me that gig in the fancy pants big budget movie. Well, not using that exact language of course. Right?


(Well, one thing is different - my surgical scar that begins above my belly button and extends down to, well, you know.)


There is really excitement in starting almost from scratch once again. I thought, should I change my resume photos after losing so much weight? Nope. I'm still bald and have a beard. No extra grey in the hair department. Saddle up! Being that this is Hollywood, and most of time Hollywood really loves those post-rehab or post-cancer stories, I have also harbored other thoughts.

Should I take advantage of my recent past to secure, perhaps, more gainful employment? Perhaps I should burst into the audition room and blithely state, "Hi everyone! I'm Rod Harrel, recovering cancer survivor..." and before you know it I'll have them in tears of laughter and sadness. Yep, that's the ticket! Maybe for added measure, I should hint of some sort of 'significant' drinking problem and make up a couple a kids and a heartless, greedy ex-wife. Before you know it, I'll have a spread in Variety, a book deal and be appearing on the Ellen show! Classic!

Seriously, that's not how I saddle up. I have always gone into anything on my merits and talent. Wish me luck, everybody!


 

2 comments: