Sunday, February 9, 2014

We're All Poor Here

The other day I was standing in a line with a bunch of other actors and, of course, the wannabes, outside a studio in Hollywood. As I was feeling pretty good about securing a gig, I pulled out a fresh pouch of tobacco and rolled a cigarette (that skill is listed on my resume). A guy standing next me remarked how quickly I rolled my smoke and sure enough I was maybe three drags in before he asked if I'd roll him one.

I didn't have a problem with that and within sixty seconds he had his own cigarette. He again remarked how fast I rolled and how evenly the tobacco was distributed. I thanked him and we chatted for a bit about "the biz". Apparently, word spread fast along the line of two facts: one, I had tobacco and two, I could roll pretty fast; for within a brief few minutes a fellow came up asking for a smoke. Again, no problem, I was already in a good mood. Seconds later, yet another fellow came up wanting a smoke. I then joked that I should set up a little table and charge 50 cents a pop.

When the fifth person came up to bum a smoke, another fellow who was standing next me and had been observing this scene finally piped up in a very clear, loud theatrical voice, tinged with just the correct amount of bitterness and regret. He exclaimed, "You guys should get your own tobacco. We're all poor here!". I paused. He was absolutely correct. The cigarette hand-out was over. It's not that I'm against handing out a smoke every few days as I wander the mean streets of Los Angeles, but the fellow was right. We were all standing in the line for the same reason: get a gig, get some money, pay some bills and eat a little something.

(photo by Tammy Harrel-Fraley)

 

2 comments: